Dawn

Dawn

Friday, October 15, 2004

An impressive new begging scam this week. As I was loading groceries into my car at the supermarket, I was approached by an unusually silent young woman, who sorrowfully inclined her head towards a clipboard containing a list of donations to the Spanish Deaf and Dumb Association. As I put my hand into my pocket, the cynical section of my brain moved into gear and told me that the logo was shoddy; that the woman looked far more Eastern European than Spanish; and, finally, how clever it would be to disguise the fact you can’t speak the local language by pretending to be deaf and dumb. So I told her - rather pointlessly, I suppose - that I had no change and then watched as she and a companion evaporated through the exit on the approach of the security guard.

The local police have announced that in November they are going to be targeting people not wearing belts in cars. More specifically, they have a quota to fill. I guess that, once this is achieved, things can return to their lackadaisical normal. Until the next advance warning. Or even beyond, if this relates to crash helmets.

My picture appeared in the Diario de Pontevedra yesterday, as a member of the English Speaking Society. Gratifyingly, the staff in my favourite café clearly thought this accorded me minor celebrity status. Just wait until I get my weekly column!

No comments: