Dawn

Dawn

Monday, April 18, 2005

I’ve mentioned that my cleaner is both clumsy and slow to advise me of breakages. So, although pretty annoyed, I wasn’t too surprised – minutes before I left for the UK - to find one of my favourite artefacts in pieces on a shelf in my study. Rather more astonishing was her contention today that she knew absolutely nothing about it. Which means either that I’m going mad or I have a poltergeist. On the other hand, it might be significant that 30 minutes later she volunteered her first ever confession, albeit only about something as prosaic as a corner of the fridge door.

In last week’s anti-speed campaign, the police clocked an Audi driver doing 190kph [119mph] on the autopista near La Coruña. This might have shocked even them if they hadn’t earlier stopped a Mercedes driver for doing 200kph [125mph]. As with all the other 1,998 offenders, both of these heavy-footed transgressors were passing through an area replete with electronic signs advising of radar controls. But at least they were on the right side of the motorway, which can’t always be taken for granted. Especially after a wine festival.

And now a plug for my young Spanish friend, Manoel, who’s now working in Madrid and who has finally restarted his blog An Spaniard in London. Click on www.theremon.blogspot.com and enjoy his ingenuity with the English language.

WordWatch

El toothing – This is not in the dictionary so I’m guessing it’s new and means contact via blue tooth technology.

No comments: