Dawn

Dawn

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Yet another hurrah for the Spanish media. This may be a country even more obsessed with celebrity than most but the news headlines of the past few days have not been dominated by Kylie Minogue’s breasts and Saddam Hussein’s underpants.

More madness from Catalunia last week. The local government has demanded that the region be given the web dominion ‘ct.’ as if it were a real country. And in Israel one of the leading politicians walked out of an event when only the Spanish flag was flown. I guess we can expect more of this childishness.

Back in the Galician political arena, President Fraga has said he only went to Argentina to help those of the Galician Diaspora there. It had nothing whatsoever to do with the looming elections in which many thousands of emigrants are entitled to vote. He also said he was a young man of 82. So you can form your own view of his credibility.

I mentioned months ago that I was involved in a docudrama about the sinking of a British ship along the Galician coast in the 19th century. This has been the most haphazard activity in which I’ve ever been involved. In an attempt to increase the chances that the director and I would actually meet again before the filming now scheduled for next week, I started to give him my commitments over the next few days, "Oh, don’t bother," he said, character- istically, "I’ll just keep phoning until you are available"..... Magnify this by the number of people involved and then you can get some idea of why things just don’t happen.

No comments: