Dawn

Dawn

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Regular readers will know I regularly cite the results of surveys of sex in Spain, plus others such as one on the use mobile phones. It struck me yesterday that the survey I’d really like to see would answer the question How often do either one or both Spanish partners use a mobile phone when making love?

This summer Galicia has been hotter and drier than most other parts of Spain. As a result, we’ve been plagued with forest fires and I guess I’m not alone in praying for a little rain. But all should change when my younger daughter arrives on Tuesday next. Within the family – and now more widely - she is renowned for bringing with her not just her smile but also bad weather whenever she comes.

There was a report yesterday of alcohol-fuelled street violence amongst young people at a Barcelona festival. This lends support to my thesis that Spain and the UK are morphing into the same culture, incorporating the least attractive elements of each. Perhaps this is what Brussels means by ‘convergence’.

Talking of my views, I’ve long regarded Rupert Murdoch and his tabloid empire as one of the worst things to hit Britain in its long history. And I suspect the unholy alliance between him and Tony Blair will come to be seen as having ushered in a new age of mob rule. A little extreme, perhaps, so I was pleased to see Paul Johnson saying in a recent edition of The Spectator that Murdoch had thrown away the fruits of victory over the print unions by committing the Times to a costly price war with the Telegraph which effectively ruined both papers and ended quality journalism in London.

I see the rapper Eminem has admitted to being addicted to sleeping pills. I’m surprised I’m not too, as I pop one whenever I see him about to perform.

No comments: