Dawn

Dawn

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Well, I seem to annoy more Galician friends when I write positively than when I tend towards the critical. So, for their sake, I’d like to stress that any praise given in this blog for either Spain in general or Galicia in particular is entirely specious and designed to make me a pack of money. Don’t ever think of coming to visit, let alone live here, as they are quite dreadful places. Especially Ferrol, Vigo and Pontevedra.

Random recollections of the recent trip…

... Motorways continue to proliferate. This time - in Reinosa - I happened upon one just built between Palencia and Santander. I guess this will stop when the EU grants end.

... As ever, the road numbers on my maps and downloaded route instructions bore little reference to the actual numbers on the signs. Sometimes, though, they shared a digit or two.

... Spaniards must prefer to take a shower with the shower-head in their hand, rather than in the bracket on the wall. In most hotels, the bracket is pretty useless and in some cases the hose will shoot off the wall when the taps are turned on. This was true even in an upmarket casa rural which had whirlpool features in the bath.

... Spanish petrol pump attendants must be among the most efficient and friendly in the world. Damn.. another positive comment.

... Night-time temperature up in Burgos, León and Lugo can be pretty cold, even in summer. In fact, there was early-morning ice on my windscreen in Burgos, even though the daytime temperature later rose to over 30.

... Writers of hotel brochure don’t often have native English-speakers proof read their brochures. Thank God.

... American travelling companions wearing Hawaiian shirts will garner a fair amount of attention.


Someone has arrived at my blog after googling ‘gay cosmetic surgery’. How, I wonder, is this different from straight cosmetic surgery. Do both participants have to be gay? Are the techniques different? Wrinkles in different places??

No comments: