Dawn

Dawn

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

The passing of August is always a little sad, especially as my house goes from crowded to empty in one fell swoop. But, in one respect at least, I’m always glad to see the back of it. For in August I’m lucky if I get my magazines with only a week or two’s delay. Or at all. My suspicion is the Post Office accords letters what passes for priority treatment in this under-staffed holiday month.

The incidence of cocaine-taking was today reported to be higher in Spain than anywhere else in Europe – 20% more than in the UK and almost 10 times that of France. It’s even twice as much as in drug-ridden Holland. Incidentally, the verb ‘to snort’ in Spanish is esnifar. Wonderful. And in French? Snifer!

A columnist has suggested that the poverty and deprivation of the people of New Orleans prove the USA social model is inferior to that of Europe. I assume he’s totally ignorant of the conditions in which people live in Paris’s notorious periphery.

In tonight’s World Cup match between Spain and Serbia-and-Montenegro, the latter were represented in the score panel as SCG. I wonder why. Actually, there were even odder aspects to the televising of this match but I will leave these until tomorrow.

The new Galician Xunta has announced it will pay for the books of primary school kids for the first time. If what I noted the other day really is true, this will surely make it a little easier for local revellers to push the September boat out.

No comments: