Dawn

Dawn

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

American scientists have found ways of using rabbit cells to solve the problem of erectile dysfunction. Anyone acquainted with Spanish slang will regard this as only too appropriate.

I regularly complain that the Spanish live in a little bubble which reduces their sensitivity to others. I briefly left my bar stool today to get a newspaper, leaving on the counter not just a full cup of coffee but also my pad, my cap and several sheets of paper. None of this stopped a woman sitting on the stool. But she was, of course, thoroughly apologetic when I reclaimed it. They invariably are.

A reader has commented on the poor quality of English in Galician brochures and suggested there's a business opportunity here. I'm afraid not. After several abortive attempts to help organisations for free, I've come to accept the view of my Spanish friends that what happens is the local organisation gets a budget for translations by qualified people and then spends it employing relatives who may have studied English at school but who have certainly never spoken it.

GALICIAN POLITICS

The president of the Galician Xunta has said it's a shame most of the Lugo council has been arrested for corruption as this gives the impression everyone is up to it. Surely no one would be so simplistic as to rush to this conclusion. With the possible exception of Everyman and his wife.

No comments: