Dawn

Dawn

Sunday, May 28, 2006

In today’s papers there’s an ad for some sort of dental product with the [English] brand name ‘All on Four’. I can’t for the life of me figure out why but I guess it’s a lot better than ‘On all Fours’.

Well, putting everything else aside, it’s certainly good for the hits to my blog to mention Galicia, Catalunia and X. Over a hundred on each of the last 2 days, when there’s normally a weekend dip to 40 or 50. So, I thought I would return the interest of my Galician readers and invite them to give us a primer on nationalist politics here in Galicia/Galiza. As most of those who write to me clearly think I’m pig ignorant on the subject, there will surely be no shortage of takers. Especially as I am suggesting they write in English, Spanish or Gallego/Galego. If the latter, I will translate for the benefit of those readers who are interested in the replies. Here’s a few questions to get us going:-

1. Apart from the BNG, what other nationalist parties are there here?

2. What percentage of the vote did each get in last year’s elections in the CA?

3. In each case, was this an increase or decrease on the previous elections?

4. What are the main policy differences – if any – between these parties on the issues of:-

a. Independence from Spain

b. Greater autonomy but as part of ‘plural Spain’

c. The description of Galicia/Galiza as a país, nación, nacionalidad, etc.

d. The Statute of Autonomy which is currently being negotiated with Madrid.

e. The importance of Gallego in public, e. g.
- co-official or only official language?
- percentage of each to be used in schools and universities?

5. The formation of a Galician football team to play in at least the European Cup and possibly the World Cup [If any of them actually have a policy on this]

In the rest of Spain, the Gallegos have a reputation of being ‘close’ and unwilling to answer questions, except with another question. I do hope this turns out not to be the case here. Pero, vamos a ver.

No comments: