Dawn

Dawn

Thursday, June 29, 2006

The good news is that deaths on the road in Spain were 341 down last year over 2004. The not-so-good news is that the reduction so far this year is only another 49. But, as two thirds of mortalities occur in the second half of the year, there’s plenty of scope for increasing the reduction. Especially as harsher penalties come into force in a couple of days’ time.

And staying positive – the government certainly seems to mean business in its not-before-time crackdown on the cesspit of corruption that is/was Marbella. Another 30 people have been arrested this week in the second phase of the operation. The first phase saw several local dignitaries arrested and charged. I suspect it will be many years before anyone actually cops a prison sentence but it’s good start.

Which is more than I can say for my ADSL line. I finally ordered broadband two weeks ago and – after receiving a couple of long emails and a 23 page contract – I got the modem yesterday. After two hours trying to get it to work tonight, the supplier told me they thought I needed to get all the phone wiring in the house replaced. I told them to think again and call me back tomorrow. What joy.

No comments: