Dawn

Dawn

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

I regularly wonder whether, if you manufactured road signs, it’d be useful to have a relative in the Town Hall. This question flitted across my mind again today, when I caught sight of several recent additions to the street furniture of a nearby town. As you can see, these are not exactly of the common or garden variety and were possibly more expensive than was absolutely necessary . . .













The Latin phrase in flagrente delictu is used in English to mean ‘red-handed’. In French, I’m told, it’s en flagrent delit, which is a pretty straight translation. But the Spanish equivalent is in fragranti. I wonder why. Latin ‘L’s often become ‘R’s in both Galician and Portuguese [as in praya and praza] but, as far as I know, this isn’t the case in Spanish. Perhaps it’s adopted Italian.

Another depressing performance from the England football team tonight. I don’t know when they play Ecuador but I’m pretty sure I’ll have something more enjoyable to do. I’m arranging for someone to come round and stick red hot needles in me.

Talking of the World Cup, after watching Portugal the other night, I was left wondering - not for the first time – whether ‘Figo’ is Portuguese for ‘Fall down’. Shame to see such a wonderful player sunk so low. And so frequently.

The small ads for prostitutes and brothels at the back of the local papers are increasingly explicit, something I wouldn’t have thought possible a year or two ago. Today’s gem was a picture of an ‘Ex Miss Brazil’ who had the phrase ‘Final Days’ written along her naked thigh. As if she were in a sale. Or, like a pop diva, on tour. A perfect woman for not-so-Catholic Spain – A Madonna-like whore.

No comments: