Dawn

Dawn

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

In England there’s no regional layer of government such as there is in Spain and Germany, for example. There’s the central government and then the 45 counties, which probably equate to the provinces within Spain’s regions [‘Autonomous Communities’]. It’s arguable this means less democracy and more centralisation in England compared with Spain. On the other hand, England seems to be free of the ‘politicking’ that goes on endlessly in Spain, with each regional government trying to leapfrog the last one at the central trough. I guess this helps to justify their existence but I wonder how they manage things in Germany.

The Catalan government has become the latest to weaken the anti-smoking legislation introduced nationally in January. As in Madrid, Valencia and La Rioja, large bars will not, after all, be obliged to close off the space provided for smokers but will be allowed to get away with a much smaller investment in ‘improved ventilation’. I hold out less and less hope that my favourite bar/café will be no-smoking by the deadline of 1st September. I suppose this counts as greater democracy.

This week we’ve been told that Channel 1 has the youngest viewers, Channel 5 the oldest and Channel 2 the richest. Frankly – having seen the programs – I’m surprised they have any viewers at all. At 11.30 tonight, for example, we have one of those documentaries which are the staple of serious TV in Spain – An examination of the important societal role played by female breasts. But at least it’s not another analysis of the problem of prostitution.

In a countrywide survey, Pontevedra emerges as the Galician city with the highest quality of life, though it ranks only 24th out of 54 nationally. Somewhat to my surprise, the elegant city of La Coruña achieves only a national ranking of 50. Maybe they’re very inbred up there.

REGIONAL/NATIONAL POLITICS: CURIOUSER AND CURIOUSER

Aragón has become the latest region to demand that it be given the status of ‘national community’. And its own tax office.

The Vice President of the Galician Institute for Analysis and Documentation[?] has suggested that the region’s new Statute should incorporate a provision giving Galicia the right to act independently of the Spanish state in foreign affairs and, for example, sign agreements with countries where Portuguese is spoken. In this way, he says, Macao could act as Galicia’s gateway to China. And I suppose Brittany could be the gateway to France for Cornwall. And Cornwall could be the gateway to Wales for Brittany. Endless possibilities.


Finally, to the anonymous Spanish reader who says he/she doesn’t have the characteristics I ‘blithely’ attribute to his/her compatriots – Which characteristics specifically? When I know this, I will be happy to respond. Or to put it as he/she [characteristically?] did – Amplification, please.

Finally, finally ... I've just discovered Google thinks my blog has the characteristics of a 'spam-blog'. This means I now have to verify a wiggly word before I can post my comments. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. They say they'll have someone review my case and let me know. I do hope this includes a fulsome apology. What on earth are their criteria? I'm hoping it's a recognition that hits have reached almost 25,000. But I suspect it's because I mentioned 'erectile dysfunction' a couple of days ago. Oops. Done it again.

No comments: