Dawn

Dawn

Thursday, August 31, 2006

I had one of those Spanish shopping expeditions today. I bought a ping pong table from a sports shop but it came without bats and balls. Inevitably, the place that sold me the table was out of these, as was the sister shop they sent me to. But they did deliver the table on time this evening and I was able to find the 3 hours and mechanical skills required to assemble it. This, of course, left me no time to play on it, with or without bats and balls. But tomorrow is another day.

It’s also the day on which the Xunta will, they say, start fining the owners of large bars, cafés and restaurants which don’t comply with the anti-smoking laws. Unless, of course, they convert themselves to no-smoking establishments overnight. I will make a few spot checks and report.

Barking dogs are a feature of this part of Spain but none are as vociferous as the young Dalmatian recently acquired by some neighbours who clearly don’t regard a huge mastiff as sufficient protection. Or adornment. Having read that some dogs here have their vocal chords cut to avoid upsetting the neighbours, I briefly pondered slipping a copy of the article into their mail box but thought better of it. Now I’m considering just mailing them details of an anti-barking collar. What’s stopping me is the risk that their reaction will be to get a third dog.

Galicia Facts

Do the Galicians have a death wish? For in the case of both road deaths and smoking levels, this region has seen the lowest reductions of all Spain in the wake of recent legislation.

And water usage has increased a massive 8% in the last year. Perhaps they are trying to drown themselves.


Finally, my commiserations to Portorosa for the failure on the part of [I guess] a native English speaker to get his attempt at irony. Rather ironic, really.

No comments: