Dawn

Dawn

Monday, August 27, 2007

Coming across a Spanish couple taking photos of each other on the steps of our basilica yesterday morning, I offered to snap both of them together. This done, I walked on, reflecting that a fair percentage of British couples would have declined my offer – an act that the Spanish would regard as ungracious. Why some Brits react like this, I’m not sure. Some, I guess, have an instinctive dislike of ‘bothering’ people but others appear to be suspicious of any offer of assistance. Which is why I’ve given up trying to help out those of my compatriots who seem lost in our old quarter. I’m tired of being looked at as if I were a timeshare salesman on the make. Chance would be a fine thing.


Consternation in my regular café-bar on Saturday, when the tapa with my midday glass of Rioja was a generous portion of octopus. This was the first time this had happened in almost 7 years and I was forced to admit I don’t much like pulpo. Especially when covered in the ubiquitous paprika sauce. Now, this is considered something of a crime here but all was forgiven and, of course, I was quickly brought an alternative from the kitchen. Albeit by someone who could scarcely conceal her incredulity. At least the staff now have something apart from my Spanish accent to laugh at.


Spain’s high-speed train, the AVE, is slow coming to the north west of the country. Today’s Voz de Galicia tells us that, after 6 years of work, only 153 of its 700km have been completed. And 101 of these are between Madrid and Valladolid, a long way from Galicia. From memory, the AVE was originally scheduled to be operational next year but the latest forecast is 2014. Which may yet prove optimistic. Coincidentally, a Polish woman on the BBC last week complained about the EU giving priority to investment in high speed trains when local trains there were in such a poor state. A letter-writer to El Pais made the same point about Spain last week but I suspect she was writing from beleaguered Barcelona, where the commuter trains seem to be in something of a mess.


For those interested, here’s another article on the issue of the moment – the decay of key segments of British society. On this, incidentally, an unhappy reader yesterday cited Tom Sharpe’s view that everything was down to the Brits losing their empire, as “This puts one in a bad temper.” Well, yes. Why didn’t I think of that? That’s probably why the Brits are in Afghanistan and Iraq. To re-establish an empire and get their sense of humour back. The reader also suggests Tom Sharpe is far funnier and less self-complacent than me but I suspect he’s on firmer ground here.


I wonder if it really is true that Fernando Alonso paid one of his mechanics to put a nail in Lewis Hamilton’s tyre. I find it hard to believe. It must surely be another example of insane conspiracy thinking. Possibly on my part.


Finally . . The noise in Spain . . .


No comments: