Dawn

Dawn

Friday, March 28, 2008

Well, BAA did have to ‘suspend’ its plans to fingerprint domestic passengers using Heathrow’s new 5th shopping mall. Sorry, ‘terminal’. But, in the end, this was the least of their problems, as the opening day descended into chaos. I was impressed that the Daily Telegraph this morning didn’t mention that BAA is Spanish owned. And even more impressed that El Mundo did. But I suspect my mother’s tabloid Daily Mail will redress the balance. In spades.

Talking of travel problems here - Britain’s rail users get a poor service for very high prices. A professor at York University's Institute of Railway Studies said this week “It’s interesting to note that the micro-management of the railways by the state is now at arguably its highest-ever level. The problem is the lack of a clear overall transport policy." And this is 11 years after the incoming New Labour government promised us a ‘joined-up traffic strategy’ that would eradicate the hell then faced by Brits on both the roads and the railways. I thought [again] of this assurance when stuck in the traditional jams near Birmingham on the M6 at midday on Wednesday. I consoled myself by imagining what it would all be like if the government’s traffic strategy weren’t fully joined-up.

Today’s papers contain the first report I can recall of a British kamikaze driver, who went 15 miles down the wrong side of the M65 motorway last night. But at least it was a confused 81 year old woman and not a 35 year old male drunk. Not that this will have been much of a consolation to those drivers who hit the crash barrier, trying to avoid her.

It was reported yesterday they’d found the bones of the first European, who lived around a million years ago in Atapuerca, near Burgos in central Spain. And who left a message inscribed on a bone to the effect that his grandmother made the best tortilla in the world. And that his heirs would slaughter anyone who disagreed.

Galicia Facts

There was an interesting program on the food of Castile on the UK’s Channel 4 last night. It left me very regretful we don‘t get that region’s casseroles [caldos] in Galicia. Especially the one involving wild boar. But, anyway, next week’s program is about Galicia’s seafood. So I guess I’ll be reminded of how unappetising I find octopus in olive oil and paprika. Not to mention the dreadful goose barnacle [percebe]. Which should really endear me to my readers of the Galician Diaspora.

In consolation, I bring news of a new blog, brought to us by the Voz de Galicia. Here’s their write-up:- Blog colectivo: Un espacio hecho por gallegos dispersos por el mundo en el que cuentan qué hacen donde están, cómo vive un gallego por el mundo, cómo se ve Galicia en la lejanía, cómo se ve el mundo con la óptica gallega. En fin, un espacio global para un mundo virtual sin fronteras. Si quieres sumarte, escríbenos.

By the way, it's not my fault this isn't in Gallego.

No comments: