Dawn

Dawn

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Reader Moscow has kindly cited this article, on how to go about doing business in Spain. It seems pretty accurate to me – and not too dissimilar to one or two other countries – but I particularly like the point that “Listening attentively, while a virtue in many societies, is optional in Spain.” Answering your mobile phone when you’re talking to someone else is, on the other hand, absolutely obligatory. Even if you’re a shop assistant attending to a customer.

But to be very positive about Spain – As I’ve said before, one of the great joys here is that there is certainly concern but no phobia about paedophilia. As a result, it’s still possible for the generations to interact the way they used to in the UK when I was young. And men of my age – or any age, for that matter – are not terrified of what will be thought should they even talk to a child. For an insight into just how bad things now are in Insane Britain, click here. A taster . . . “Negative sentiments are the direct consequence of the mistrust and suspicion fuelled by the prevailing paranoid regime of child protection. It is our obsessively protective parenting culture that is responsible for the erosion of inter-generational relationships.” The irony, of course, is that the Spanish believe the British don’t care much for kids.

Being rather more mundane . . . The operation of speed cameras is obviously a live issue for me right now. So it was interesting to read this article on the UK introduction of the latest average-speed technology. I guess we’ll have it here soon as it seems effective in its primary purposes of annoying drivers, disturbing traffic flow and maximising revenue. The Spanish traffic police announced a campaign against the use of mobile phones last week but, if they were really serious about this, I could nominate several spots where they could just sit and shoot fish in a barrel. It’s one of the de-merits of having a house in the hills that I drive up against a tide of fools coming down round sharp bends at excess speed and with only one hand on the wheel. But, anyway, it’s good to know that at least one or two of Spain’s cretins get nabbed.

I see Carrefour has sacked its Spanish Chief Executive. No reason has been given but I like to think it’s because of the complaints I made to France about the duff printer I bought there early this year, not to mention my thoughts on Carrefour’s response to my request for a new one.

I also see in today’s news that an oil tanker has been taken over by pirates off the coast of Africa. I have to admit to a fleeting hope that it's the one my neighbour, Nice-but-Noisy Tony, is currently sailing on.

No comments: