Dawn

Dawn

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Well, it was forecast a few years back – largely because it was easy to do so – that there’d be trouble around immigration once the phoney construction boom was over and there was little work for the millions who came to Spain after 2000 – legally and illegally – to provide cheap labour. Now they’re a cost to the social services or a threat to the work prospects of the natives, they’re not so popular. Especially the illegal ones, who are being denied town hall registration in some places around the country. The Spanish seem rather less guilt prone than the Brits about their ex colonies – possibly because few of them are in Africa – and so are usually less concerned about allegations of racism. So the debate which has just begun is likely to be robust.

Talking of debates, it struck me today how those on each side of the Gallego-Castellano language divide are such natural bedfellows:-
- Politically Left of Centre v. Right of Centre
- Young v. Old
- Without kids in education v. With kids in education
- Idealist/Romantic v. Realist

Yes, I know it’s crude but, using it, I bet it wouldn’t be too difficult to come up with a profile of the most likely sort of person who’ll be joining the demonstrations against the Xunta’s plans to change the existing law so as to, in effect, reduce the amount of teaching done in Gallego. For which they believe they have a mandate.

Which reminds me . . . Alfred B Mittington has told me today he’s written a discussion paper on this subject. So, keep tuning in for his (probably) provocative thoughts. One of these days, he’ll have his own blog but, at the moment, mastering the technicalities – he tells me – is not his forte.

Finally . . . I went down to Portugal today, to research accommodation for my less-than-willing-to-rough-it friends who are doing the Camino with me in May-June. Stopping for lunch in the charmingly named Pedra Furada, I chose the Cod in House Style. This can differ enormously throughout Portugal and, in this case/casa, it involved about a kilo of onions and two kilos of potatoes, dished up as delicious roast crisps. Truly was it once said you’re in danger of carbohydrate overload whenever you eat in Portugal. I doubt I’ll be touching anything for another two days.

Belatedly –Welcome to those lovely people who’ve become Followers of this blog since I last wrote this.

No comments: