Dawn

Dawn

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Here at my younger daughter’s place in Leeds, we’re playing the ultra-modern game of Find the Company Which Accepts Responsibility for Fixing the Phone Line. This ceased functioning four days ago, denying us access to the internet over the holiday period. Worse, wifi cafés are a lot harder to find in Leeds than in Pontevedra. More accurately, this has proved impossible so far. But I have high hopes of a nearby place this morning, which is said to serve one of the top 10 coffees in the UK. Though this may not mean a lot if you come from Spain.

If I’m successful, you can read these three recent articles from Qorreo, while I go off with my daughter to the races at Weatherby. This one is on the less-than-objective travel specials issued by newspapers; this one is on the rather more serious (and interesting) issue of ‘industrial scale’ prostitution in Spain; and this one is on the country’s ubiquitous digital piracy.

My new sat-nav has confirmed what I already suspected – that in the UK you’re never far away from a roadside speed camera. The bloody thing never stops bleeping.

Talking of driving . . . The only bad manners I’ve witnessed in ten days have come from me. Doing things that just come naturally after almost a decade in Spain. If I hadn’t gone quite so native, I guess I’d feel at least a bit embarrassed about this. But, of course, I don’t. Though I apologise profusely. As if I really meant it. Well, there’s no point in going only half-native, is there?

Finally . . . My daughter asked me last night what the rationale could be for one of the lanes on the Leeds city ring road being dedicated to cars having at least two occupants. I guessed that someone in the town hall had “Traffic Coordination” in his/her title and that it was possibly intended to make driving in this lane a faster proposition than in the other. Thus motivating people to share their car with others. At least in theory. A Leeds-based old friend has confirmed this, adding that the result, of course, is that, during rush hours, one lane is virtually empty, while the other is choc-a-bloc with traffic moving even more slowly than it ever did before. I guess it makes sense to someone. Though it might be just another bureaucratic triumph.

No comments: