Dawn

Dawn

Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Well, the phone company which twice disclaimed responsibility for my daughter's defunct phone line has now accepted it, having been confronted with the evidence of a monthly payment from her bank account. And they’ve promised to fix it today. I could be back in Spain. Unless it gets fixed today, of course.

Meanwhile, I have to report that my daughter has taken my tradition of guest-neglect to a new low. I’ve been here five days now and the fridge is as empty as it was when I arrived. In the interim, she’s managed to acquire a new camera, a new bed, new trainers and various other things for her flat. Against which, I’ve even bought the food for the bloody cat the past three mornings, when going out for the paper and juice. But I exaggerate. She did buy a pack of ground coffee four days ago. Which she leaves open in the fridge, imparting flavour to the three lonely carrots occupying it. Where did we go wrong?

A kind reader has pointed out that, if I really were a native Iberian, I wouldn’t have noticed that my driving was ill-mannered. Which I have to concede is absolutely correct. But he should know; he’s Spanish.

On the point of starvation, I took my daughter to a local Thai restaurant last night, for a meal we both thought quite exquisite. We actually had a choice of three Thai restaurants within half a mile. Plus a noodle bar which goes under the name of Wokon. Which appealed to me. Though this is more than can be said, according to Hannah, about the food they offer. But, anyway, I was reminded once again of just how much variety and innovation there is here in the UK when it comes to food. And wine, of course. A walk round any major supermarket does the same. Which rather contrasts with my experiences back home in Galicia. Racking my brain, I’ve only been able to come up with one innovation in my local supermarket in more than nine years - you can now get tuna in olive oil as well as brine. Great.

Which is partly why I come to Britain by ferry and go home with a car far heavier than when I arrived. Though this time I'll have the added weight of my very first girlfriend, whom I hadn’t met for 45 years until last week and who’s foolishly agreed to a week’s hospitality in Pontevedra. I have a talent for complicating my life. I blame Friends Reunited. At least in this case. And the boogie, of course.

No comments: