Dawn

Dawn

Sunday, June 20, 2010

This is last night's post - published late. Another one tonight.

It’s interesting to observe the Spanish-German clash over what bank data should be published. Cornered by the markets, the Spanish government has finessed the publication of data both by herself and by her EU partners. This puts the major Spanish banks in an excellent light but the question has already been raised of how partial – and therefore useful – the data is/will be. As someone has put it – “The stress testing will not count how much public debt, in the form of government bonds, is held by banks - dodging the main concern that has sent markets tumbling.” Will this never end? Meanwhile, Spain’s regional governments are all reported to have seen their debt levels soar to record levels.

Talking of revenue . . . . . I tried to process my tax return on the internet today. In the past, this has proved remarkably easy but today was another thing. Apart from my NIF or NIE (fiscal identity number or foreigner identity number), they wanted my ‘first surname’. Unfortunately, I have both a NIF and an NIE. And, like most foreigners here, I don’t have two surnames. So, as ever, it was anyone’s guess which of my first names or surname they regarded as my first surname. Plus I didn’t know – away from my office – whether they used my NIF or my NIE for their reference. But, after an hour of being told I wasn’t a taxpayer, I finally cracked the code and amended the Hacienda’s draft Return, adding my house in the hills to the list of my immovable assets. Whereupon my tax immediately rose. I rather wished I hadn’t bothered.

I occasionally talk about Spanish lack of consideration for others. Perhaps the most egregious example I witness – apart from the countless folk who walk across you – is the taking of two or three newspapers from the café rack and keeping them in a pile in front of you while reading through them. I mentioned this today to the head barman in my regular watering hole, pointing out that we had a transgressor in the place (a retired doctor, no less) who does this often, especially with the national papers. I stressed that, as a Brit-not-yet-fully-Spanishised, I couldn’t be expected to confront him about this. “Absolutely no need,” he responded. “The next time he does it, just tell me and I’ll have words with him.” Problem solved?

My Franklin electronic translator continues to give me fewer than 50% of the words I need. So I’m moving inexorably to Mike the T’s conclusion, viz. that it might just be useful for those learning Spanish who need basic vocabulary. And perhaps even conjugations. I imagine the availability of the latter consumes space that would otherwise be available for a more comprehensive dictionary.

The other disappointment of the day – of course – is that the fence behind my house has not been fixed. But there’s always mañana.

No comments: