Dawn

Dawn

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The honest princess; Spain's ex-Jews; Energy bills; Silent eating(?); Taxing the bulls; & Scarves


So, how did Princess Cristina get on in court? Brilliantly, would be the answer if you were her lawyer. She suffered a short but deep bout of amnesia, which meant the poor thing had to answer "I don't recall" or "I don't know" to virtually every one of the judge's questions. I felt terribly sorry for her; all of this must have been hugely embarrassing for an intelligent woman with a Masters degree from NY university. Unless that was actually North Yarmouth. 

Have I got a story for you . . . The Spanish government is thinking of giving citizenship to all Sephardic Jews and their relatives. This is a surprise but it's perfectly in tune with the attempts by cities such as Toledo to turn themselves into Jewish-friendly cities. It's reported that 3.5 million Jews are expected to take up this offer, which seems a lot to me, considering there's only 6m in Israel. And that 3.5m is the reported total of Sephardic Jews throughout the world. Anyway, I dread to think of the bureaucracy applicants will have to go through and will check in 10 years time to see if anyone has achieved citizenship. 

When I came to Spain 13 years ago, I noticed (and commented) that the bills for gas and electricity were high on fixed costs and low on variable costs in respect of energy actually used. This, of course, penalises low users like me as we're effectively subsidising high users. My irritation with this increased when I discovered 3 years ago that families with more than 2 kids get a 'large family' discount. This means that my neighbour, the lovely Ester, pays less per month than I do. But, anyway, thanks to the recent hikes in energy bills, the media finally seems to have latched on to the practices of the energy companies and has started banging on about them. But where, you have to ask, have the consumer protection companies been for the last X years? 

My Ferrol friend, Richard, has amused me with the news that there are "silent" restaurants in NY (definitely New York this time). Which he set against the comment of his partner, Blanca, that in Spain it's considered rude not to talk (i. e. shout) when you're dining. What's really amusing is that the cultural norm in next-door Portugal is the exact opposite. Which is one of the reasons the Spanish dismiss the Portuguese as being as dull as the British. Or, as one Spanish lady said to me a few years ago - "No noise. No life." And maybe she was right.

To cries of immense pain, the government recently raised VAT(IVA) to 21% on cultural activities, designating them 'luxuries'. This included bullfighting, which is not seen here as a sport but as a cultural activity. Indeed "A National Good". But now the government is having second thoughts and is considering lowering the tax on your corrida ticket to 10%. Good to see they've got their priorities right. I don't suppose, though, I can blame the Catholic church for this right-wing development. Only greasy-haired guys in sunglasses. Smoking cigars. Straight from Central Casting.

Finally . . . I went to a concert on Friday night but had to leave a little before the end, to go to dinner with friends. As I was about to exit the auditorium, I realised I didn't have my scarf. After a quick and fruitless look around, I decided to tell the folk down at Reception that I'd left it there. They asked for the row and the seat number and suggested I call back on Sunday night. Which I did, to be told the cleaners hadn't found anything. I cling to the hope it's lodged between the folded base and the back of a seat and will turn up. The alternative explanation is too depressing. Especially as it's the second scarf to go missing this dreadful winter.

The Environment 
January: 31 days. On which it rained: 28 - 93% (revised down) 
February: 11 days. On which it has rained: 11 - 100% . 

APOLOGY: I corrected it last night but my original reference should have read from an autovía to an autopista. The point being you pay on the latter. 

FOOTNOTE: If you've been a viewer of British TV in Spain and have been affected by the recent migration of channels to a weaker transponder/satellite, contact this site for info. And, for the benefit of all, send a report on your situation to this address.

No comments: