Dawn

Dawn

Monday, March 31, 2014

Missing husband; An exclusive tender; Huskies en masse; & Hipsters.


As I sat in my car waiting to leave the ferry on Thursday, there came the intriguing announcement on the intercom: "Would Mr Jones please return to cabin 6564, where his wife is waiting for him." I wondered how many hours previously he'd slipped out.

I was intrigued to read of a large tender for printers required by the Pontevedra provincial government. The specification matched, word-for-word, the description of a particular machine in the catalogue of one supplier. So, guess who got the business. That's certainly one way to do it.

Approaching the Hoylake promenade at the start of a morning walk yesterday, I caught sight of a couple of people walking a pair of husky dogs along the sands. Then another. And another. Until I'd counted more than 50 of the breed. I guessed this wasn't a coincidence but the internet was of no use in finding out what sort of event it was.

My car stands out in the UK - from the rear at least - because it doesn't have a reflective number plate. This is a safety measure which the Spanish police haven't yet got round to, preferring new and bigger fines in their fight against road accidents.

Finally . . . 'Hipster' is a word which is clearly back in fashion. And may have been for a few years now. My daughter gave me a definition in the car on Friday but here's what the Urban Dictionary has to say on it - at some length.

No comments: