Dawn

Dawn

Monday, March 10, 2014

Women and Abortion; Cheap village; English as spoken; & Fotos from the parade.


I mentioned yesterday that 4 of the places I used to frequent had closed down in the last 4-5 years. Actually, it's 6. I realised last night that the 2 Chinese restaurants I favoured had gone belly up. One of these was the buffet place outside the shopping centre down by the bridge which I'd always forecast to be a failure. But I do miss it. Especially as, being one of their few regular customers, they treated me well

Inevitably, Spanish women have used The International Day of The Woman to protest against the government's plans to repeal the abortion law amendments of the last government. Do we get a day, by the way?

And here's a second question:- I imagine the Facebook folk can easily identify which of us never click on the ads and never read their Suggested Posts. So, why don't they do this and then leave us alone? Or do they think the column of women with big breasts on the right of the page will eventually get to us? I guess so.

Want a Galician village? Here's one for nowt. Just a few easy conditions to meet.

I see the President of Iran speaks perfect English. In fact, he sounds like he may have had some education in the USA but, even so, he'd have had to master the language before getting that.

Talking of English - It was amusing to learn that the rather useful present continuous perfect passive tense(?) - This house is being built - was regarded as outrageous by purists when it came into being in the 19th(?) century. I guess one can see their point.

Finally . . . Some snaps from Saturday evening's parade. Sorry about the quality; my camera is still on the blink and these are from my dumbphone.

Young girls in Sevilla costumes not often seen in Galicia

It wouldn't be a Spanish celebration if there weren't references to both bishops and crapping.  This is a toofer.

A nice portrayal of the ranks of bullfight aficionados.

The banner seemed to read "A pesar de la Crisis, tenemos cuerda para Rato." It seemed to cause amusement but it was lost on me. It's possibly a reference to a similar phrase from António López López but perhaps a Galician/Spanish reader could explain. I suspect it's to a local politician.
This is a float which centred on Hawai and several of these moai. Very impressive but I suspect these have only ever been discovered on Ester Island.
And preparations for the cortege and immolation of Ravachol on Sunday night:-

The place to sign the Book of Remembrance
A few of the midday mourners
And, finally:-

Essential for the mourning - an early 20th century British Austin car.

No comments: