Dawn

Dawn

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Thoughts from Galicia: 5.8.17

Spanish life is not always likeable but it is compellingly loveable.
- Christopher Howse: A Pilgrim in Spain. 

If you've arrived here because of an interest in Galicia or Pontevedra, see my web page here.

Life in Spain:-
  • Here's a couple of diagrams of the AVE high-speed train in Spain. This one shows the first line:-

  • As in France, I believe, it owed its trajectory to the birthplace of the then President. Pork-barrel politics, in other words. 
  • And this one shows just now disadvantaged we up in the NW are. 

  • Our line was promised for at least 20 years ago but is still nowhere in sight. Though there are rumours of works up in the mountains between Zamora and Ourense. The AVE of The Gaps.
  • I guess it had to happen . . . The BBC is going to film 'celebrities ' - most of whom I've never heard of – while they're doing a real camino, pilgrim hostels an' all. Forgive my scepticism and click here if you want to know more about this.
  • Which reminds me . . . Here's a trailer of a Galician film (docudrama?) – Pelerinaxes - on a particular pilgrimage from Ourense to San Andrés de Teixido in 1927. And here's something about in in Spanish.
  • It's reported that half of the medieval tracts on lesbianism are in Gallego. I don't know what this signifies and, of course, it might mean just one document.

Can you imagine anyone wanting to imitate Donald Trump? Click here to read of some monumental American shyster who does. Could this happen anywhere else in the world?

No great surprise to read that, by hook or by crook, taxes in Galicia have risen 68% since the start of El Crisis in 2008. Most of all in Vigo. Possibly via an uplift in municipal taxes. It's an ill wind that blows no good for a town hall.

Finally . . . I recently attended 2 fiestas gastronómicas here in Galicia. Thanks to a press feature, I now know I only have another 298 to go.

No comments: